Thursday, October 21, 2010

Revelation: I am NOT in the pursuit of happiness!

Yeah, I lnow how the title sounds, I can hear you now " You don't want to be happy? Everyone wats to be happy!" Setttle down, let me finish, Kanye. Dang.

I as talking to a dear friend of mine who used to be a part of my nationalistic movement. Her reasons for no longer taking active part are her own and I'm ok with them, to each their own and all that, however the way she ended the conversation started me gears to rolling.

To spare you (and her) the details of it all she basically said that she enjoys doing what she WANTS to do because it makes her happy and if to achieve that happiness she had to leave the movement then so be it.

That's when I realized, I don't do anything because it "Makes me happy". I'm a Black nationalist. First by birth, then by choice. i have found a Black nation that is actively fulfilling the goals of black nationalism in such a way that Carmichael never dreamed and King only imagined and I am proud of that. Through all of the spiritual paths I have travelled, black nationalism has been my center, my anchor, that one piece of myself that I won't change.

It's not that I'm not for the upliftment of all peoples all over the world, I really am. I just firmly believe that the upliftment of OUR people is a social responsibility that will eventually give me and us the ABILITY to uplift the entire world.now, Back to happiness...

I am not in pursuit of "Happiness" the way most people see it. I'm in pursuit of FREEDOM. Freedom for ALL of the African Diaspora. Spiritual freedom, emotional freedom, financial freedom, Freedom to build in the image and likeness of Yah. THAT is what I pursue. I can honeslty say that if I had to DIE on this path to achieve that goal I would.

This road is hard. I can't sugar coat it. People have died trying to achieve what I want(Marcus Garvey, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King jr.) , people have lost their fortunes and some, even their sanity but I won't quit.

I don't expect ti to get easy on the way. My only comfort or "Happiness" will be in lnowing that I have made things better for my people and my future generations. If Happiness should find me, I welcome it with open arms! But I'll put it like this:

If Someone made me an offer, to go to "hell" for 10,000 years and be tortured everyday to the brink of my own sanity, in exchange for the Freedom of my people or to live a "Happy" life, never really accomplishing anything but my own basic survival, I'd go for option "A".

Peace,

.....TheGift

No comments:

Post a Comment